Sunday, June 26, 2011

Attitude Adjustment

I was talking to someone (whose name I won't mention) the other day, and he/she was saying that he/she has no reason to be happy right now. Now this someone is a single, attractive, and very talented individual, so I immediately thought of a dozen great reasons for this person to be happy...and the biggest reason would be FREEDOM! FREEDOM to go to the gym without having to wait for a spouse to get home to watch the kids, FREEDOM to take a nap when tired, FREEDOM to take a shower without a toddler trying to break down the shower door, FREEDOM to run to the grocery store without taking a kid or two, and FREEDOM to make a meal with those groceries without wearing one of those kids in a Baby Bjorn.

But then I realized that when I was single and childless, I felt that the only thing that would make me happy and make my life meaningful would be a family of my own. I actually said those exact words to myself all the time! At this moment of realization, it struck me that my attitude sucks...and it always has. I am always so excited for each new stage in my life only to be whining about it less than a month later. I have always had to work so hard at being happy and enthusiastic about my life, even when I have so much to be thankful for. This "someone" and I discussed this for quite some time until I decided that the only way to make being happy easier and to adjust my crappy attitude is to center my life more on the Savior and be grateful...because really I wouldn't trade my life with anybody.

How could I be ungrateful when I get to hang out with these cutie pies everyday...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your honesty Kasey. This is a lesson everybody should learn. It helps us remember why we're here and what truly matters in life.

Rachelle & Steve said...

Agreed! Very well said, & helps to remember *everyone* has their own trials, but what would we be without family, & friends of course. I know one thing that makes me happy for sure, & that is one incredibly amazing sister!! I love you! p.s. great pics! :)