
Baron and I always talk about how very blessed we are when it comes to the important things...our new home, our health, our marriage, our angel of a baby, our church, our family and friends, and in these tough economic times, our jobs. With that said, I feel like we have been bombarded with bad luck these past couple of months. I'm pretty sure that I always function at a pretty high stress level because I am just one of those worrying sorts of people, but I've been getting pretty close to my breaking point lately. First it was the move, now it is my job...I found out a few weeks ago that my position is being cut with the State's budget cuts, and I'll be reassigned. I'm super bummed because this position has been so flexible and PERFECT for this last year with being pregnant and taking care of a new baby. Now, I will definitely not be doing any work at home, and my schedule will be much more rigid. I think I might even have to resort to taking Mason to a near-stranger's home for child care at least once a week.
I had been coming to terms with the case-management position I was told I would be assigned to, and I had even gotten excited about the new challenge. But, once again, the rug was pulled out from underneath me when I found out a couple of days ago (actually heard a rumor) that the management team changed their minds and assigned me to a different position than the one I had been preparing for. Aside from feeling totally disrespected and offended about the news reaching me through the grapevine rather than through my boss, I've also been feeling pretty intimidated about the new assignment. I guess I will actually be using the MSW degree that I earned a few years ago, as I've been assigned to a clinical therapist position with the Juvenile Justice kids. It is a good thing I went ahead and took the licensing exam and passed about a year and a half ago.
For the last two nights, I have lost a lot of sleep trying to get excited, once again, about this new position. I have been able to come up with a few positives:
1. I will get to work with some familiar faces (since I will be working in the facility I started in 6 years ago).
2. I will actually be able to work some evenings, so I will be leaving Mason with Baron more than taking him to someone's in-home childcare.
3. My new office will be in a facility where there is some exercise equipment, so maybe I will get to lose some more of the baby weight while I'm actually on the clock!
4. I will be able to improve my therapy skills and most importantly, I'll start logging in some hours toward my LCSW license. Hopefully, in two years, I will be fully licensed and able to work as a clinician anywhere...I could even start my own private practice one day.
So, I guess that leaves me back where I started a couple of months ago...Baron and I really are blessed when it comes to the important things. I'm pretty sure everything does happen for a reason, and this is just one of those things.

3 comments:
I am glad you can come out of the fog you were feeling once the bomb hit you. I really think you are right about everything happening for a reason. The best part is # 4 on your list. A cinician, or your own practice that is really something for sure! I really envy your type of work, & have often thought how interesting & fulfilling of a career it can be.
I'm sorry you've been going through all that. Sleepless nights are awful! And I agree that it's never fun to hear something through the grapevine. You should point that out to your boss. But at least you have a good attitude and can see the positive side of things. That will make everything better.
I wish we lived closer and I'd watch your little guy for you so you didn't have to drop him off with a stranger.
I'm sure it will all work out fine, looks like it will actually be a great opportunity for you. I imagine that you are wonderful at what you do.
If I can help, let me know. Good luck with everything.
Lindsay, we actually moved a little closer to you guys a month ago, but not as close as I would like. You are so nice to even think of helping me with Mason, but I talked to my new supervisor today, and think that I'll be able to work some evenings and not have to take Mason to a stranger after all. Such a relief!!
Post a Comment