I am loving this book by Dr. John Gottman just as much as his amazing research on marriage and couples. I love that Dr. Gottman's work as a pyschotherapist is based on his own (and very thorough) research. In this book, he emphasizes the importance of coaching our kids to be emotionally intelligent. We always wonder what it is that makes some kids more resilient than others when faced with adverse childhood experiences, and Dr. Gottman's research attributes this resilience to emotional intelligence. EQ has proven more important than IQ when it comes to determining success in life.So anyway, while I've been reading this book, I've realized that I really need to work on keeping a straight face when Mason gets frustrated and acts like a crazy little man. It is really difficult not to laugh, but I certainly don't want to make his apparent low tolerance for frustration any worse! Hopefully, I will become just the emotional coach he needs by the time I am done reading Dr. Gottman's book. Here are some clips I caught of a couple mind-losing moments:
I think the proper response would be something like, "I know it is so frustrating when your stethoscope won't fit in your doctor kit just the way you'd like. Maybe we could try walking away from this toy and come back when we feel better." Identify the emotion and teach a coping skill...just don't laugh!

2 comments:
Oh!! Totally made my day, & yes the trick would be NOT to laugh! I know I was & think I'll go back & hit replay! I need to read that book mainly for Braxton's sake. Such an overly sensitive fellow! lol I sure can't wait to see Mason!! Definiteley grown since I last saw him at x-mas! Shucks! ;) I think you should plan a getaway soon, so I can watch him!! :)
I forgot to mention my giggles from Zoe too, in t/background of second video! She's like, " Ok I know this all to well, just walk away!" Or do not make eye contact! hahaha
Post a Comment