Monday, August 30, 2010

Trial Lake

Mason and I went camping this weekend with my family while Baron stayed home and worked on our basement. We are trying to get at least some of it finished before the new baby comes. Mason and I had a lot of fun, even though we missed Daddy and our doggie, Zoe. The first day we got there, we had to put up with a lot of rain and pretty frightening thunder. We tried to stay entertained in my parents' trailer until it dried up outside.On Saturday, the weather was great, so Mason dragged me around the campground for endless walks. We'd get back from a walk, and he'd grab someone else's hand to go on another walk. I think he logged more miles than anyone, and he never got tired of it.The best part of the trip for me was seeing Mason get along so well with his cousins. I always worry about him being poorly socialized as an only child, but he had so much fun chasing birds with his cousins, Kaylee and Tristan, and going on walks with his cousin, Brinlee. He and his cousin, Jonas, are only 6 weeks apart in age, and I really loved watching them bond. Mason chattered endlessly with Jonas, as if Jonas could understand all of his jibber-jabber. By the end of the weekend, they were the best of friends.The worst part of our trip was Mason's fall! Mason pushed open the door to the trailer and tumbled down a few steps and hit his head on a log we were using as a step. I had to take a picture of the steps, so I could show Baron what a miracle it was that Mason survived with only some bumps and bruises and a bloody nose. I tried taking a picture of Mason's face, but the lighting doesn't show the bruising too well. I still can't believe that he didn't get more serious injuries. I am very thankful that I didn't actually witness the fall because I don't think I could handle the image replaying in my mind. My poor mom was the only one who saw the whole thing, and she was pretty shook up.Even with the scary fall and a few tantrums, I'd say it was a pretty successful camping trip. Mason slept great, and my family was such a big help with him. I'm not sure if it will be quite as easy next year when I have Mason and a 6-month old.

2 comments:

Rachelle & Steve said...

Even though we made it up for just one night, it was totally worth the time spent with you two! What a miracle it was with Mason's fall. How is he doing? No broken nose after all then, huh? Thanks for the pictures, & sure hope I get to see that darling nephew of mine sooner than later! :)

katester said...

Love all the pics, it is beautiful and Mason is such a cutie. Congrats on having a boy. YOu will love having 2 boys close together, easy on the wallet and fast friends.