Friday, August 22, 2014

Kindergarten at the "Big School"


I think I was pretending Mason in private kindergarten last year was more like a second year of preschool because I really didn't feel too worried or nervous about his first day of school.  This year is a whole different story.  He's been so excited to go to the "big school," but I have been tossing and turning for nights and getting no sleep, as I stress over all the stuff that comes with having school-age kids:  The carpool details, Mason's uniform, and how I'm going to manage doing homework, daily reading, Chase's preschool, soccer practice, art lessons, tumbling, and all the while getting my own daily workouts in. Most of all I've worried about whether or not Mason is ready to be in a class with about 20 kids so far away from his mom.  He is going to a charter school about 15-20 minutes from our house.  I'm excited about the school, but for some reason it makes me nervous having him so far away in case of an emergency or something. Anyways, Mason's first two days of school have actually been great.  He did tell me that he cried a little bit the first day, but he couldn't even remember what he cried about.  He looked so handsome in his little school uniform!

One of the cutest things he said about going to the big school was that he was excited but he was going to miss his "brother Chase," and then later he said again that he would miss his "buddy."  

I didn't cry when I dropped him off for school on the first day, but after school we were talking about his day, and he told me that at one point he pretended that his mommy was at school with him.  I wasn't sure if he was talking about an exercise or something with the class, so I asked him if all the kids had to pretend their moms were there, and he said, "No, mom, just me.  I just pretended my mommy was there with me."  And then I had to give him a big hug and walk away, so he wouldn't see all the tears.  He is such a sweetheart sometimes...well most of the time really.  

I sure hope and pray that it continues to be a great year for him.  He is such a tender-hearted, loving, funny, curious, hard working little guy who I just want the whole world to love the way I do.  It really is something unexplainable to be a mother and have such an infinite amount of love for your children. 

1 comment:

Rachelle & Steve said...

Wonderful post!! I can sure say I love Mason & sensed when he was just a baby what an extra special little guy he was/is!!! I hope he really enjoys this year in school. I still get melancholy dropping off my two kiddos! You are great at juggling, making it all work so, it will be a piece of cake for you! One incredible mom!!:)