I was almost certain that Mason was going to have a really difficult time with the role of "brother." Before bringing Chase home, I prepared myself for months of jealous tantrums. Why was I so pessimistic? Well, let's see...a few scenarios come to mind:
1 - Mason would become hysterical whenever his Grandpa would hold, hug, or even touch another grandchild.
2 - On one occasion, I watched Mason rip free of my hand to lie flat on his back in the hallway at church and sob uncontrollably because I held another little kid's hand on the way into nursery class.
3 - If, at any time, Mason saw our dog try to cuddle with Mommy or Daddy, he would proceed to assault and scream at her.
4 - The daycare workers at the gym have let me know numerous times that Mason is very possessive of one specific worker. He won't let her hole any other child!
Despite my certainty, Mason has been the BEST big brother! We had a couple of difficult weeks while I was recovering from the c-section, but I think he was just struggling with my inability to do much with him. Since then, he has become a great helper and a very attentive brother. Oftentimes, when I put Chase on a blanket, Mason will run over with a diaper and wipes in hand. Or, when Chase spits up, Mason will immediately snatch up a burp cloth (and practically smother the poor baby with it). The other day, Mason heard the baby crying upstairs, so he took a step up the stairs and told me, "The B sad, I go."
What I really love is watching Mason watch Chase. He is fascinated by everything Chase does. The first thing he says when he wakes up in the morning is "Where's the B?" He loves to mimic Chase's sounds, and he's even amused when Chase pokes him in the eye or grabs a fistful of hair. One of the more popular games at our house lately is "Night-night". Mason likes to lay on the floor with the baby and a blanket and pretend it is nighttime...I'm pretty sure this game is my favorite because I get to "pretend" to go night-night too!
I am so excited to see these brothers grow up together!

1 comment:
I too am excited to see these cute brothers grow up!! Speaking of, Chase has already grown since I last saw him! Wow! Such darling pictures. Thanks, Kasey! :)
Post a Comment